Monday, August 3, 2009

Place and (poor) memories?

I watched the Burmese Days, and unfortunately I couldn’t gather much from it. It was very subtle in its plot development, but I’d like to blame the audio too (and by extension, that Hi-Fi shop that used to play loud music near my home).

Aside for narrations of the story “The Great King Eats Chaff” being recited clearly, accompanied by bell chimes which precedes each episode of the story, I only found out what was going on in the film after it was over. That came from classroom discussions (it appears I wasn’t the only one confused, but some managed to grasp it. But some classmates also surfed the internet for the synopsis during the show) which followed the screening of the film.

But why had I been so inattentive? I was sitting in front row! I can’t be that poor a listener! It was also in the middle of the semester, before all the weight of assignment fatigue sets in.

The story is about the daughter/niece (also the director), the mother and the uncle going around Burma/Myanmar to revisit places where the uncle and mother grew up, but for some reason the mother was unwilling to dredge her pass.

But I didn’t even manage to work out the relationships between all these people! I did not realise the director was the main subject’s daughter, and the uncle was not “the husband”, until these were all pointed out in the classroom discussions.

Well why did I think of that? Hmm…

No comments:

Post a Comment